20080317

Listening Assignments 3.17.08


1. the Forms - Transmission - Holy jeez, this sounds like 1990s emo. And kids, emo wasn't such a dirty word back then. My ears are celebrating. Somehow, the Forms are getting away with making this music in 2008, a sound that could have opened for Sunny Day Real Estate back in the day. Just bought this, I'll review the whole thing when it comes in. [from The Forms|buy]

2. A Weather - Spiders, Snakes - This song is the whispering wind narrating your thoughts as you gaze past breaking gray waves from atop a dune. The birds hum along. It's a cold day at the beach. [from Cove|buy]

3. Cranes & Crows - So it Goes - I like real voices, though some people don't. Ben Folds, Eef Barzelay (Clem Snide), John Darnielle (Mountain Goats), John Sampson (Weakerthans), and Chris DuBray (Some By Sea/Ghosts & Liars). Some people hate these bands because of the vocals, or maybe because of the uncoolness that comes from sounding like a regular Joe with something to say. This song is right in my wheelhouse, and I guarantee you'll love the last minute and a half at the very least. [from Blame Winter|buy]

4. She & Him - Take it Back - I'll start by saying Zooey Deschanel is so freaking beautiful, it's criminal. She's got a nice, full, unique voice. And everyone loves M. Ward. Critics are fawning all over this record. But this perfectly-paced violin-and-slide-guitar-dripped ballad is one of only a few songs on it that I can listen to without cringing or being bored to tears. This is what the whole thing should have sounded like. There's this obnoxious reverb soaking most of the vocals and there are songs from genres I hoped had died with the release of Grease. Mostly I think I'm just frustrated because this concept is brilliant and I wanted to love it. Having Zooey sing songs that make her sound like Olivia Newton-John, Karen Carpenter, and June Carter Cash was not the way to go. But hey! You might love it! [from Volume One (out 3.18)|buy]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you stand up for emo! Thank you for posting this band and showing the kids what it's all about!

- Lauren from VA Tech (JustDrawIt)

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home