20070103

The Grays


Raise your hand if you know this band! If you don't, I'm willing to wager that you know two members of the Grays better than you think. Jon Brion is one. Jason Falkner is the other. Maybe you've heard of them? They were founding members of Jellyfish with Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning, Jr, which eventually became one of the biggest "unknown" bands I can think of. I could be biased because Jellyfish released Spilt Milk, probably my favorite record of all time. Jason went on to a mostly successful solo career while Jon Brion went on to compose such amazing things as the score for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Punch Drunk Love, and Magnolia. Anyway, back to the Grays. Just a great band. Beatles and Queen-esque harmonies, flawless arrangements, and tons of Brion's trademark quirks. "Very Best Years" is probably one of my top 20 favorite songs ever.

Listen:
Very Best Years {fixed and I tested it and it really works now! thanks!!}
A Friend of Mine
Nothing Between Us
[from Ro Sham Bo|buy]

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff. been in love with this for years. only have it on cassette though. I need to update. lol.

as for Falkner, never cared much for his solo work, but I love everything Brion churns out.

"Meaningless" is one of my ultimate summer-day albums.

though I think some of the demos are even more impressive than the album versions. Atlantic Records just didn't know what they had when they had it

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"very best years" links to the mp3 for "nothing between us". just so you know.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Very Best Years" isn't working for me. When I try to download I just get a 0 byte file. The other two sound good though. Nice blog by the way!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Album, and a pretty hard to find in the usual places, but downloadable anyways

6:57 PM  
Blogger DigMeOut said...

Check out a podcast review of Ro Sham Bo by The Grays on Dig Me Out at digmeoutpodcast.com, a weekly podcast dedicated to reviewing lost and forgotten rock of the 90s.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home