20070523

The Rocket Summer: Certified Guilty Pleasure


My bud Alex hates this band and he's probably not alone. The Rocket Summer's Bryce Avary is a blonde-headed prodigy with an incredibly hot wife. He's probably 5'7'' in heels and it's possible that he's one of the last surviving castrati. Honestly, it took some time to get over the emotive, high-pitched voice, but now I don't even notice it. His melody choices are fantastic, his range is huge and fluid. On his critically acclaimed debut full-length Calendar Days (5 of 5 in Alternative Press) as well as the forthcoming album, he played every instrument. He wrote every note.

The deal-maker for me, though, is just the general mood of this stuff. Realistic or not, The Rocket Summer is the most positively uplifting power pop I can think of. The glass is not just half-full, it's overflowing. It's self-depricating and honest, filled with hooks and brown sugar. I met Bryce at the show I booked with him and Cartel a little over two years ago. In person, he is the same humble guy filled with joy and enthusiasm that comes out of my speakers. This optimism is believable and when I press play, I get caught up in it too. Sue me.

Listen:
So Much Love - The saxophone around the 2 minute mark was an effing unbelievably good production choice. This is the first single to his major label debut.
[from Do You Feel? (out 7.17)|info]
Around the Clock
[from Hello, Good Friend|buy]
Cross My Heart
[from Calendar Days|buy]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this pleasure need not be guilty. the rocket summer is AMAZING. thank you for the new song.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Rocket Summer too! The song "So Much Love" is great! I also love the music video for this song. It's been playing on MTV's TRL. Be sure to go to the MTV site to vote to keep the video playing on TRL!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryce IS amazing isn't he!
if i have my itunes on shuffle and his songs come on, i have to switch to just listening to him because its so addicting. i love what he sings about and his voice is awesome. Also, he plays pretty much every instrument on the cd which is really cool because not many bands do that. :)

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home