20070810

Sara Bareilles' Little Voice


Sara Bareilles is on Epic Records and it's okay. In fact, it's more than okay. This is the stuff that deserves payola, promoters, and publicists. Maybe not the only stuff, but if we're going to get female popsinger/songwriters either way, I'd prefer the authenticity and immediacy of this unassuming NoCal-via-LA lass any day.

Comparisons are too easy and ultimately fall short. Bareilles (pronounced Bar-rell-is) brings the sass of Alana Davis, the sharp tongue of Fiona Apple, the mass appeal of Sheryl Crow, the hip-swaying of Maroon 5, and control and range rivaling Kelly Clarkson. But she's got her own soul and it shines throughout her stellar record Little Voice. Her voice is anything but. I hope she does well, if only to restore hope in the American recording dream: from the coffee shop to the auditorium. There's a triumphant innocence preserved here, untainted by an addiction to flashbulbs popping, full of eagerness and ever-thankful for the opportunity to put these songs to tape.

"I...have an affinity for the playful and intelligent-pop of people like Elton John and Ben Folds. And although I don't necessarily write like them, Radiohead, the Police and Bjork changed my musical consciousness. Ben Gibbard writes better lyrics than I can even imagine up. Etta James and Sam Cooke make me wish I lived 50 years ago. Counting Crows recorded an album that I consider to be perfect, and Bob Marley created music that makes me want to be a better human being." -SB

Listen:
Love Song (the single, as far as I know)
Come Round Soon (immediately Fiona, eventually strays. Check out 2:20-)
[from Little Voice|buy]

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert Cass said...

"Love Song" and "Love on the Rocks" (thankfully not a cover of Neil Diamond's song) are terrific piano-pop songs, and "Gravity" is a decent ballad. I look forward to hearing more from Bareilles.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on itunes and i saw Sara Bareilles as a preview artist. When I hear 'Love Song' I instantly loved it (and downloaded it :D)

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home