20071021

Van Coheed and YellowCambria


Coheed and Cambria will release the 4th installment of their sci-fi-prog-metal-indie-rock series this Tuesday and I wish I could say I was completely psyched about it. They've been one of my favorite bands for a long time, put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen last year, and have a record in my all-time top 20 (The Second Stage Turbine Blade). While overall, the following albums haven't usurped the first, there have been some amazing songs on each of them, allowing Coheed to sustain momentum over these years.

Now comes GAIBSIVV2:NWFT (haha!), the first single of which opens up with a similar palm-muted guitar riff to Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue" to the point where whenever I hear the song start to play at my job, I think it's Yellowcard. No, this isn't a plus. It's probably my least favorite Coheed single ever, even after it starts sounding less like YC. In fact, much of this album, in my opinion, just sounds like b-sides or demo versions of previous material. It literally all sounds the same. The melody for "Radio Bye Bye" sounds nearly note-for-note identically to the far superior "Mother May I" from the previous record. This is one of many examples I could use.

There are a few bright spots. Enough to post a blog on them in the first place. "Feathers" opens like a vintage Van Halen track, but picks up steam fast and shows glimpses of the Coheed of old. "The Road and the Damned" has a beautiful string section backing up a fantastic melody and arrangement. They've still got it. They've still got it.

Listen:
Feathers (*fixed)
The End Chapter IV: The Road and the Damned
[from Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow (out 10.23)|buy]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feathers is a bad link :(.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes in a concept album you deliberately go back to previous melodies and rhythms to evoke past story lines or characters. I haven't heard the entire series so I cant say for sure, just something to think about.

3:29 PM  
Blogger drewcif said...

Matt, I definitely don't disagree with you. They've revisited multiple themes over the course of the collection, I guess my point is just that if there's too much rehash, and not enough new solid stuff, what's the point of a new record? Thanks for reading!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Todd Michael Rogers said...

Man, thanks for posting a good track...how depressing. The last album was so good.

The last two albums were so good..and the first has a few good songs I like as well.

I think losing half they're lineup left this record cold, dull, and lifeless.

But please do yourself a big favor and try to hunt down (or e-mail me for) a copy of the album DOS by Altered STate, it's from 1993, and no one who's ever liked Coheed should go without it.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home