20081020

Listening Assignments 10.20.08


1. Sloan - Cheap Champagne - I'm not ashamed to say that I heard this song in the Gap while in Portland, OR. I jotted down some of the lyrics on the back of a concert ticket and brought it back to VA to discover that the song was by Nova Scotia's finest power-pop outfit. This one is less power, more pop. Think Squeeze, not Spears. [from Parallel Play|buy]

2. Lymbyc Systym - Narita - I could listen to Lymbyc Systym until my skin melts off and probably will. Something about bombastic drums, Fender Rhodes and a crescendo of melodic distortion will always get to me. [from Field Studies|buy]

3. Minus the Bear - Pachuca Sunrise - For a band known for glitchy synth/drum machine-aided indie rock, an acoustic EP of this quality is an unexpected and pleasant surprise. [from Acoustics|buy]

4. Marit Larsen - Steal My Heart - Something about Marit is irresistably adorable despite my testes protesting heatedly in defense of their honor. Whatever part of my body sings louder usually wins out. And I will say that I'd rather be castrated than have my heart excised, a fact confirmed by this lovely Norwegian. [from the Chase|buy]

1 Comments:

Blogger The God Of Biscuits said...

i just recently picked up Merit's album and I have to agree, it's full of sweet poppy goodness!! for some reason this post made me remember where i recognized her name from. she was in a group during her teens called M2M with fellow singer Marion Raven. how cool is that name by there way!?! anyway, they had this song called "Everything" that i absolutely love. this sudden realization makes me wanna share it with my friends. you should check it out if i do.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home