20061002

Listening Assignments 10.2.06



1. Yo La Tengo - Black Flowers - Yo La Tengo is one of those "essential" "old school" "untouchable" indie rock bands that people in their late 20's/early 30's will swear by and refuse to listen to anything else. Truth be told, I was never sold on them. Could have been a case of always hearing the wrong song and losing interest. When I first heard this song, I didn't know who it was, I just knew it was really great. It sounds like the Polyphonic Spree if it were a little more focused (a good thing, I think). All in all, really strong and really pleasant. [buy]



2. William Elliott Whitmore - Dry - In my opinion, this song contains everything necessary to make a perfect blues-folk song. Banjo, a voice that sounds like it has lived everything it's singing, lots of verses, and great lyrics. This just feels real. This is what it's all about."..and the ground's so dry, the river's on its hands and knees."[buy]



3. The Postmarks - Goodbye - This song gets better every second it's playing, from the beginning to the end. I love when songs do that. This is more Belle then Sebastian and even has hints that remind me of early Smiths. It makes me look outside and notice how pretty the branches are as they blow in the breeze. [out January 2007]



4. Mark Martucci - Pin the Cat - I'm sure Mark would hate this because he probably gets it a lot, but this sounds like Figure 8-era Elliott Smith. The happy times. What that means, specifically, is that it rules.[visit]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Drew, just wanted to let you know that I am very much enjoying and appreciating the effort you've put into introducing relatively obscure music to the world, and by world I mean me. I discovered your blog last year sometime when I joined the Mae forums under a name I can't remember, but I didn't really start coming here regularly until recently, and I feel sorry that I didn't. Please continue your excellent work of highlighting bands that may not have the exposure they deserve.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home