20070212

Listening Assignments for 2.12.07


1. Modest Mouse - Dashboard - If the Smiths' Johnny Marr is the reason the first single from MM's upcoming album is so immediately approachable, I commend him greatly. I was never a Modest Mouse purist, they've always been hit or miss for me. High highs, low lows, that kind of thing. This hits me. I love it. Really reminds me of Maritime. [from We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (Out March 20th)|pre-order at iTunes]

2. Field Music - Working to Work - Deliciously disconnected. For some reason, it reminds me of an avant-garde '60s Beatles track. In the best way possible. It's bright and happy. [from Tones of Town|buy]

3. The Shivers - Half Invisible - Some really great things going on in this song throughout. Creative low string sections, a marching beat, slide guitars and sing-a-longs. Folkalicious. [from Phone Calls|buy]

4. Virgil Shepard Walters - Ghetto Blastin' - You might hate this song. It's definitely unpolished and strange. But maybe, just maybe, you'll click play and it'll be weird and funny and you'll find yourself pressing play again later on, maybe singing it to yourself at work. It sounds like a 20something small-town lad blastin' off like he's all hard. Hard, I tell you. [from Solid South|buy]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ghetto Blastin' actually reminds me a lot of a group called "Why?" and if you haven't checked them out and you liked this, check out Elephant Eyelash.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was actually 17 at the time he recorded Ghetto Blastin'

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has Virgil Shepard Walters vanished now?

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home