20070610

World Party - Bang!


Tracks 1-3 of World Party's 1993 album Bang! make up one of my favorite opening sequences in music. I was 11 when it came out, my dad and I saw them in Portland and I fell asleep during Grant Lee Buffalo. We were in the VIP balcony (complete with couch) and I was so tired, I declined the chance to go meet the band. Oh, how I wish I possessed the stamina of today back in those glorious days. Anyway, the Party had some great tunes ("Ship of Fools" is probably in my all-time top 50), and were a classic Brit-pop band. "Band" is used loosely because while they toured, the records were mostly the work of Karl Wallinger. The end product was part-Replacements, part-Crowded House, part-NIN ("Give it All Away"). This is just one of those records that sticks with me even today. It's the perfect start to a Sunday such as this.

Listen:
Kingdom Come
Is It Like Today?
[from Bang!|buy]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, the first CD I ever got when I was about 12. It brings back great memories of that time and my discovery of music.

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best psychedelic record I've heard to date.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home