20071210

Listening Assignments 12.10.07


1. Bon Iver - Skinny Love - You think this is going to be a simple acoustic song for about 30 seconds, then Justin Vernon's voice comes in, heaven-sent, and the song becomes something else: transcendent. "Come on skinny love, just last the year. Pour a little salt, we were never here. My, my, my, my, my, my, my. Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer." [from For Emma, Forever Ago (out 2.29.08)|info/stream]

2. Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers - Sweet Sophia - There's nothing outwardly unique about this song, but something about the almost-country voice, melody, and adorable sweetness make this a big winner with me. [from Glassjaw Boxer|buy]

3. Cloud Cult - Bobby's Spacesuit - Aside from linking to me from their site (thanks guys!), this Minnesota 7-piece put together one of the year's best albums in The Meaning of 8. This track is one of my faves from their previous record. [from Advice from the Happy Hippopotamus|buy]

4. Halloween, Alaska - Drowned - This was an assignment before the blog existed, back when I foolishly didn't even keep records of the assignments. These Minneapolis boys are apparently back in the studio, laying down the follow-up to 2005's Too Tall to Hide, and it's about time. This song has been my favorite since play #1. "Hope won't weigh you down." Preach it, brother.
[from Too Tall to Hide|buy]

*here's what I posted a year ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home