20061211

Assignments are for Mondays (12.11.06)


1. Gotye - Heart's a Mess - This strangely-named and talented artist is shrouded in weird mystery. Something feels antique about his recordings, they don't sound like they were made in the last 10 years. This one is vaguely tribal, a chilling reverb hiding behind the vocals, and slowly burns to a fabulous climax. And who doesn't love those? [from Like Drawing Blood|buy]

2. Chet Baker - I Get Along Without You Very Well - Oh Chet, you can do no wrong. This is always the song I think about when I hear this crooner's name and it's totally classic. It reminds me of Christmas somehow, so it's a perfect fit to accompany the frost on the edges of my front window. [from The Best of Chet Baker Sings|buy]

3. Casey Dienel - Doctor Monroe - Tell me this doesn't smack of Regina Spektor, I dare you. Casey doesn't possess the amazing vocal acrobatics of Ms. Spektor, but channels the quirky piano playfulness that is no less intriguing here. It's jazzy and it'll make you smile. [from Wind-Up Canary|buy]

4. Menomena - Wet and Rusting - I love how this song sounds so...disconnected from itself. It almost sounds like it was recorded in full all in time, then to experiment the recording engineer scooted the guitar track over a beat to the right, then followed suit with the layered pianos and effects and ended up with this swirling song that is somehow cohesive in that disconnection. Neato. [from Friend and Foe (2007)|buy single]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home