20070701

Easy Ryan


Well, we're back to Mr. Ryan Adams again, half-because he produces more musical offspring than a coked-up rabbit and half-because his most recent effort is really. really. good. I've had my fair share of qualms with Ryan's identity/exploration issues over the years, but selfishly because I adored Heartbreaker so much and I was kind of pissed that he started chain-smoking and drinking whiskey like a fish. Or at least that's what his voice started sounding like and I thought he'd never get it back. As evidenced by the solid, beautiful Easy Tiger, he got it back. There are five 4-star songs ("Two", "Everybody Knows", "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc", "Off Broadway", and "The Sun Also Sets"), only one song I skip every time ("Halloweenhead"), and the remainder strong enough to glue everything together. This might be my favorite Ryan Adams record. Gasp.

Listen:
Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.
Off Broadway
[from Easy Tiger|buy]

3 Comments:

Blogger Quinn Callahan said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly! That Ryan is back with some beautiful music and vocals. The album is solid and I for one like the rollicking feel of halloweenhead but glad to hear you like it and thats for the new tunes constantly.

9:38 AM  
Blogger drewcif said...

Honestly, my only issue with Halloweenhead is the chorus. The rest of it, I like a lot.

10:19 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Its funny you say that about Halloweenhead...I have just listened to the record about three times through at work and while I usually enjoy Mr. Adams' rockers (for instance Shakedown on 9th Street) I definatley shake my head when he yells "guitar solo"...but he's freaking Ryan Adams so I guess he gets away with it

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home