20060910

Things that make you go mmmmmmm...



Margot and the Nuclear So and So's are like a mouthful of marigolds. Beauty and sadness; whimsy and solemnity. My musical brotherfromanothermother Jake recommended them to me last week and pretty much guaranteed that I'd like them. Little did I know that I've been listening to them for months without even realizing it. "Skeleton Key" has been in my iTunes rotation pretty regularly. Now, after spinning the record 4 or 5 times, I find that song's not even cracking the top half of the serene collection of tracks that make up The Dust of Retreat [buy]. There's definitely something for everyone. The soundtrack to a hurting or hopeful heart. Muted horns, polite piano, delicate male/female vox. Shades of Ben Gibbard/early Deathcab, Some By Sea, The Pushstars, and Bright Eyes. The hardest part was picking three to preview.

Listen:
Dress Me Like a Clown
A Light on a Hill
Talking in Code
If you like these, go check out the demo for As Tall As Cliffs over at My Old Kentucky Blog

1 Comments:

Blogger Indie Jake said...

In all fairness, the true props have to go to Danielle for finding yet another great '06 album we may well have both missed (Gomez, anyone?).

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home