20061007

New Music: Beck/The Decemberists


beck | thedecemberists

1. Beck - The Information

Despite glowing reviews from noted Beck-heads about this album, I'm going to need more time with it before I come to a conclusion on my own. I will say this: some of it annoys me and some of it is same ol' same ol'. I will also say this: some of it is grand. That do anything for you? These two belong in the latter.

Soldier Jane
Think I'm In Love

[buy The Information]

2. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

This one is definitely growing on me. I first got it maybe two months ago, gave it a once over, and shelved it until its official release so I could revisit it. I'm glad I took that time off. Because I'd listened to it before, I was already inoculated, the songs sound immediately familiar and new at the same time. In fact, I'm going to proffer that I like this better than Picaresque. It just seems more accessible (which makes sense for a major release) and I definitely view that as a good thing in this case. I don't know how well it will do commercially, but I think it'll clean up on the indie scene and gain a bunch of new fans. This is a good thing.

O Valencia
Summersong

[buy The Crane Wife]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home