20080105

The Desert Island Top 10: Jonatha Brooke

The Desert Island 10 continues with #8...


Jonatha Brooke & the Story - Plumb

This one's been a long time coming. I was 13 when Jonatha Brooke released Plumb, the follow-up to 1993's acclaimed The Angel in the House, which has sold in excess of 500,000 copies. My dad and I listened to Plumb practically every time we were in the car, my young mind unable to wrap around concepts like devastating heartbreak ("Inconsolable") or the casualties of war ("War", a duet with the inimitable Bruce Cockburn), but memorizing every word just the same. Later, on my own, I purchased the remainder of her catalog: 1991's Grace in Gravity, the aforementioned Angel, and later 10cent Wings, Steady Pull, Back in the Circus, Careful What You Wish For, and her first live record, aptly named Live.

A little over a week ago, I had the chance to open for Jonatha at a private house concert for a charity run by my dad. I'll tell you these things: She's a world-class hugger, her live voice might be even better than her recorded voice, and her amazing ability to make beautifully dissonant chords and melodies are incredible to witness in person. She is simply one of the most underrated songwriters of our generation, a huge influence on my musical output and taste, and a damn fine human being in the process. If this is your first Jonatha experience, don't let it be the last...

"A man's skin will be blown back with time and confusion
'Til it gathers by his ears, in the same human shallows
Like sand at the sea..."

Listen:
Paris
Is this All?
[from Plumb|buy]

1 Comments:

Blogger The God Of Biscuits said...

"envious" is not nearly a strong enough word for how i'm feeling. congratulations, sir. i was actually turned on to miss brooke after the season 1 finale of buffy the vampire slayer in which they used "inconsolable." i had to have that song and began to seek out some of her other work. the clarity of jonatha's voice amazes me, i can only imagine what she sounds like in person. i knew there was a reason i frequent your blog.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home