20061212

the Top 50 Songs of 2006


So here it is, the top 50 Songs of 2006. I try my absolute hardest to not include more than one song by a band in it because after the top 10-15, the rankings are mostly arbitrary and based on feel. There are so many amazing songs, it's practically impossible to actually rank them. Still, Midlake and Say Anything both have two appearances and I'm happy with it. The top 3 could also be interchanged at any given time and still ring true. I'm not going to go into depth describing these songs simply because they've all made appearances in this very blog over the last year and I don't want to get redundant. In my opinion, 2006 was the best year for new music that I can remember and judging by what I've heard of upcoming 2007 releases (the Shins, Of Montreal, etc), next year may be even better.

50. Canasta - Imposters
49. Donovan Woods - My Cousin has a Grey Cup Ring
48. Snow Patrol - Make This Go On Forever
47. Snowden - Walk Like Bullets
46. Gomez - Charley Patton Songs
45. Mutemath - Noticed
44. Owen - Bad News
43. Jeremy Enigk - Burn
42. Ingrid Michaelson - Breakable
41. Jolie Holland - Springtime Can Kill You
40. The Format - She Doesn't Get It
39. Damien Rice - Elephant
38. Annuals - Dry Clothes
37. Philip Uster & The House Floor - Rebel Eyes
36. Some By Sea - A Night Without a Cineplex
35. Memphis - I'll Do Whatever You Want
34. Boy Kill Boy - Suzie
33. Tacks, the Boy Disaster - Forget-Me-Not
32. Say Anything - Wow, I Can Be Sexual Too
31. Marit Larsen - The Sinking Game
30. Margot & The Nuclear So and So's - Barfight Revolution, Power Violence
29. Thom Yorke - Black Swan
28. Aloha - Brace Your Face
27. Copeland - When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out
26. Eef Barzelay - Thanksgiving Waves
25. Scatteredtrees - Most Beautiful Song
24. Josh Ritter - Girl in the War
23. Ben Kweller - Nothing's Happening
22. The Decemberists - After the Bombs
21. Beirut - The Canals of Our City
20. Regina Spektor - Fidelity
19. The Long Winters - Fire Island, AK
18. What Made Milwaukee Famous - Sweet Lady
17. French Kicks - So Far We Are
16. Sufjan Stevens - Dear Mr. Supercomputer
15. John Mayer - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
14. Ray LaMontagne - Three More Days
13. Slow Runner - Break Your Mama's Back
12. Phoenix - Consolation Prizes
11. {plus/minus} - Leap Year
10. The SLIP - Children of December
9. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - House Fire
8. Anathallo - Hanasakajijii - Four: A Great Wind, More Ash
7. Grizzly Bear - Lullabye
6. Gotye - Learnalilgivinanlovin
5. Maritime - Tearing Up the Oxygen
4. Midlake - Roscoe
3. Say Anything - Alive with the Glory of Love
2. Midlake - Young Bride
1. Fionn Regan - Black Water Child

Top 20 Albums of 2006 coming tomorrow! Stay Tuned...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome. love the tracks. be sureto post tracks tomorrow too! I'm excited

:)

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I can I say, they are those that listen to music and those that dont. I feel very luckly to have discovered your web-page. Big Respect to you and others like you.......

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew, I see you are in Virginia Beach are you going to See Josh Ritter in Norfolk this Saturday at the Attucks Thaetre?

6:43 PM  
Blogger drewcif said...

I wish :(. I'll be working, I just found out about the show recently. Thanks for reading!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home