20071107

Greetings, Grey's Anatomy Producers


Greetings, Grey's Anatomy producers. Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm onto you. You come in here and sift through my musical musings, searching for that perfect segue song. The ideal track to fade in right at the emotional high. I'd planned on writing this for some time, but I wanted to build up a solid case, which inevitably developed. You stealthy sneakers!

Now it's getting shameless. Last Thursday, it was "Merry Happy" by Kate Nash, courtesy of September 17th's listening assignments. A few weeks ago it was The Bird & the Bee's "Polite Dance Song" mere days after I posted about them. Were you on a tight deadline? It was a good thing I was here, producers. Before that it was the Cinematic Orchestra, and don't even get me started on Ingrid Michaelson. I post "Breakable", predict your pilfering, and two weeks later it's on the show. I think she might owe me a check, now that those Old Navy dollars are rolling in thanks to you via me.

Honestly, I'm not upset. It's flattering. But I have to tell you I was so disappointed in the opportunity you missed in last week's episode. There was a heart patient who was allergic to the anesthetic, so he had to undergo surgery awake, numb from the neck down, thanks to an upper spinal epidural. He was an eccentric old fellow and, it comes out, an avid birdwatcher. He began to tell the origin of his dream bird, the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, how it was thought to be extinct but was found in a tiny swamp in Arkansas, how he'd scout that bird the first day out of the hospital. And the whole time I'm getting giddy because Sufjan Stevens wrote an amazing song about that bird, special to NPR, and it would have been perfect for the surgery when Izzy is comforting him. I began to think you'd written that plotline solely to be able to include that beautiful song by one of indiefolk's leading figures. But the time came and went and I started thinking about this column. This is your mulligan, Grey's. This is what you missed out on.

But thanks for coming anyway. :)

Listen:
Sufjan Stevens - The Lord God Bird

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this song. I hadn't heard this one, but it's so beautiful. Great saturday morning music. Now if we can get you to post some up and at 'em zookeeper tunes for the afternoon i'll be all set.

11:04 AM  
Blogger A. Marvelle said...

When I watched the show I was thinking the same thing!

I had heard the piece on NPR and fell in love with the song and loved it more after hearing Sufjan preform it in concert. So when I heard the dying man mention the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, I knew that this song must be in the works. I waited and listened... and I was so disappointed when I didn't hear it!

I searched the internet to see if anyone else had the same reaction as me... and I stumbled upon your blog. I really love the things you have here and can't wait to read more!

12:07 AM  
Blogger drewcif said...

I'm glad you like the blog and I'm glad I'm not alone :) Stick around, maybe I'll write something fun.

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home